Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Review World After

World After by Susan Ee

Available Now

Book Two Penryn &The End of Days

Sequel to Angelfall

In this sequel to the bestselling fantasy thriller, Angelfall, the survivors of the angel apocalypse begin to scrape back together what's left of the modern world. When a group of people capture Penryn's sister Paige, thinking she's a monster, the situation ends in a massacre. Paige disappears. Humans are terrified. Mom is heartbroken.
Penryn drives through the streets of San Francisco looking for Paige. Why are the streets so empty? Where is everybody? Her search leads her into the heart of the angels' secret plans, where she catches a glimpse of their motivations, and learns the horrifying extent to which the angels are willing to go.
Meanwhile, Raffe hunts for his wings. Without them, he can't rejoin the angels, can't take his rightful place as one of their leaders. When faced with recapturing his wings or helping Penryn survive, which will he choose?

I've always adored and worshiped the combinations of sci-fi and fantasy and romance. Susan Ee blew me away with her combination. I mean what better way to do it than with angels that cause the end of the world and civilization with a very unusual hierarchy. Plus, this angel that the protagonist needs to help her, but eventually falls in love with. And that angel is about to become fall with a side of dry humor, sarcasm, and butt kicking included. BAM!

This book started out right where Angelfall ended. The book was a blur at the beginning with so many things happening. Penryn was assumed dead because of no heart beat haven't they heard of  drugs that slow your heart beat, seriously that is all the scorpions do people. Paige is having a lot of time dealing with being, to be frank, is viewed as a monster.

I just found the sword weird. I mean really a thinking word that thing is smarter than me. The sword even gets ashamed when Penryn uses it because she is such a bad swords-women. The sword intimidates other swords because it is so powerful, despite all of this I love you Pooky Bear.

This book was slow at the beginning with thinly veiled  predictable outcomes. The prison and ideas were something my fortunetelling cat could figure out (not that I own one........). I liked that we got more of glimpse at the angel's plans which were not predictable. The mention of the real world made this book seemed more urban fantasy than Angelfall.

Raffe, I mean seriously where did he go? The great chemistry with the dry humor and snarkiness were gone sadly. I loved though that Penryn often thought about Raffe with just a slip up, such as Raffe would have loved that. The few moments we see him through the sword he is always so commanding and authoritative. Raffe's wings the demon ones just break me up with the stomach knotting.

This book is great, the storyline is wonderful.The writing however is a little dodgy as the descriptions and ma moments are wonderful, but I feel the action writing could use a bit of help. I love the way the books feel and the chemistry of the not-so-perfect characters.


FAVORITE QUOTES

"I'm pretty sure I saw Zuckerburg digging the latrine dish beside Raffe at the camp a few days ago. I guess a billion dollars doesn't buy much respect..."

"This is not just an angel sword. She's an archangel sword. Better than an angel sword, in case that's not clear. She intimidates the other angel swords.


"He's a monster. She's a monster. Who else is going to accept her without considering her a freak, much less understand what she's going through?"


"When he looks at me, it's the look of someone noticing a person for the first time, proving yet again that an angel's arrogance knows no bounds. Which, now that I think about it, increases the likelihood that this is Raffe."

No comments:

Post a Comment